As with many of these questions and topics there are usually no easy and simple answers. First it is important to understand the differences. The biggest differentiating factor is that SmartLipo uses a high energy laser to emulsify or destroy fat cells. Then the lipid that is released from the cell is reabsorbed or can be removed with a special suction cannula. Traditional liposuction works by applying suction to a hollow metal cannula or tube which pulls the fat into the tube and the sharp edges then evulse or rip out the fat, along with associated fibrous connective tissue, and tiny nerve fibers and blood vessels. However, because traditional liposuction is a more invasive procedure, it can leave larger scars, and requires a longer recovery period. It is also not ideal for delicate areas of fat removal, such as the face, neck, and chin.
- Only one treatment needed vs. traditional liposuction which can require several procedures.
- Fat is easier to remove with the laser because it is liquefied. Traditional liposuction removes the fat in solid particles.
- Tighter skin with SmartLipo because the heat from the laser coagulates the collagen in the skin. Traditional liposuction leaves empty pockets under the skin and can leave sagging.
- Minimal blood loss is a major advantage to getting SmartLipo instead of traditional lipo. The precision laser technology leaves blood vessels, nerves and connective tissue largely undisturbed.
- Incisions are tiny and eliminate the need for stitches resulting in faster healing time and a virtually scar-free procedure.
- Local anesthetic is used instead of general anesthesia. Traditional liposuction uses general anesthesia so there is more risk.
- Two to three days downtime: minimal swelling, bruising and pain so you can get back to life.
- A much smaller cannula (suction tube) is used to remove the liquefied fat so the entire area is left better preserved.
- More affordable because only one treatment is needed and expensive general anesthesia is not used.
These factors make it a less invasive procedure and one better-suited for smaller, more delicate areas of the body.
For more information on the Smartlipo LaserBodySculpting system and laser-assisted lipolysis procedures, or to schedule a consultation, please call our Venolase office at 845-358-8878.